Friday, September 7, 2007

Second Life

Have you heard of Second Life. I was listening to NPR last week and on Science Friday I heard a story about Second Life. Perhaps I am behind the curve, or too old or too....
to understand what the big fuss is all about.

I went and checked it out and was thinking, "What a horribly unproductive use of time." That's one of the reasons I quit playing video games years ago. Too many other fun and productive ways to use my time.

So the question is how do you choose to spend your time?

When is a "leisure time" pursuit worthy and when is it a waste of time?

I'll watch Jon Stewart on the Daily Show on Comedy Central, and enjoy it quite a lot. But some people think it's a waste of time.

I know far too many people who watch professional sports, and I think that's a horrible waste of time, not too mention supporting less than admirable values in atheletes and their teams' owners.

So what determines how you spend your time outside of work. Can you separate life and work? Isn't it all your life? Don't you choose how you spend your life?

So how do you choose?

I prioritize my time to keep my commitments in life moving forward. I have several plates spinning in my life and throughout the day I need to spin one a little more to make sure it keeps moving and doesn't fall and hit the floor.

I mentioned Jon Stewart. I choose to spend some time watching his show now and then as a means of defusing ny disappointment with current events. He is able to provide a sufficiently humorous and sarcastic view that it's all a little better.

Now Second Life. Isn't the one we have in the physical world interesting enough???

No comments: